Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This week so far

My Illustrator class ended tonight, which makes me sad, though I am so excited to use the program more (once we buy CS3). It was fairly successful; one of my goals in taking classes is to meet new people, and I enjoyed interacting with a different group of folks. Plus, I learned some interesting ways to manipulate and create images.

We're in our new office after the big move this weekend. All in all, the space is great: it's large and filled with natural light, with a kitchen and plenty of storage. My only complaints pertain to my work area: despite my objections, they hung a rusty 200-lb i-beam right above my head for decoration, and my desk is treated in a high-end finish that scratches and warps easily, so I can't slide anything around, not use a coaster for beverages, or eat soup (the spatters!) without damaging it. Just pushing a cardboard box across the surface while unpacking scratched it visibly, and there is now a bowl-shaped ring from the heat and moisture of yesterday's lunch (despite putting 2 pieces of cardboard underneath). I don't really care though- why they decided to use this as a working surface is beyond me. Those gripes aside, the new location is a huge improvement.

3 comments:

Dan said...

WTF? What kind of desktop is it? Cardboard? Eggshell? Pressed Silk?

Helen said...

It's a long (15 foot?) wood desk, but it might as well be eggshell. They had it custom-made and stained black so that the grain is subtly visible. My boss is terrified that the UPS man is going to actually put packages on it: imagine, trying to use it for it's intended purpose! I think it's funny that the firm has been talking so much about "outstanding design" recently when clearly they are not producing it. Good design has to look nice and be functional.

Unknown said...

They are going to have to put glass on it or something if they want to keep the finish. Thats pretty crazy.