Monday, November 3, 2008

Awkward

After complaining to the school about only getting 4 out of my 5 monoprinting classes due to their mistake, I got a call last week saying that there would be a make-up class tonight. So, I showed up at 6:30, and it's just me and the instructor. She was getting over a cold, and not too thrilled about being there. Plus, her accent is really thick, so making small talk is a challenge. She showed me some handmade paper samples from a conference she recently attended in Hawaii and we got to (sort of) talking. She asked me what my plans were for the next couple of years. I said that I am probably going to go back to school. She asked if I had finished high school. Ouch. I had hoped to peace out around 8 because just the two of us in a huge art studio was making me really uncomfortable, but somehow I managed to stay the entire time and make some masterpieces. I've had my fair share of awkward experiences, so I have a pretty high tolerance for this sort of thing, but I've never been more glad to sit on the couch and be suckled by the Cobra, far far away from Seattle Central and the printmaking room.

No comments: