Monday, March 16, 2009

Walking

I walked a lot today- well, not too much, maybe 6 miles. First, I walked to Madison Market and Trader Joe's for groceries. Then, I decided to walk to the UW campus to drop off my college transcript; I tried mailing it, but it was returned to me (I got the zip code wrong), so rather than waste another $1.00 I decided to drop it off in person, which would also give me a chance to get familiar with the campus and explore the neighborhood. The reason for walking was to skip the gym and save $2 on bus fare; it wasn't a particularly beautiful day and I wasn't feeling particularly energetic, so I made it about 2 miles before catching the 49. Then, I walked over to the hall where the graduate admissions office is located. At Bates, it would have take about 2 minutes to get from one end of the campus to the other, but since UW is huge, it took me a while. Then I walked back to University Way and stopped in Wells Fargo, Tully's, and several consignment shops before reaching my ultimate target, a vegan grocery store. It was closed. If I had checked its hours before leaving, I would have known that it is not open on Mondays. I took a peak through the window though and wasn't too impressed by the selection- nothing I can't get at Whole Foods or Madison Market, though I guess the point is to support small, local businesses. My transfer was still good and I made it back home without having to pay another fare.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate it when businesses close on Monday to make up for being open on Saturday. The commisary on the base is the same way. I guess it is to save on labor, but come on. Are Mondays generally slower than the rest?

Helen said...

Yeah, I hate it too! I guess small businesses need to rest at some point but it's still annoying when you're trying to get stuff done.