Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ramblings

I have a new pen pal, actually a friend of mine from college. I used to cut his hair because he was too cheap to go to a barber. We were pretty close back then but hadn't spoken in a couple years; he asked for my address so he could write me a letter. I thought that was funny: how many guys write actual letters? I told him I would write him a letter too. I like writing letters. I like receiving letters more, but usually to get letters you have to also write them. I'm working on making Valentines right now; so far I have half of a Valentine for Erik and Dan. They are also guys who are fans of the postal service.

While I love the USPS, I am not a big fan of UPS. I am waiting for them to deliver a package that David didn't even know he was receiving. I would like to go to the gym because I won't get the chance tonight because we're going out to dinner with Molloy and his girlfriend, but I'd also like a day off so I'll go tomorrow instead. I'm excited: it's my last chance to befriend one of David's friends' girlfriends. I haven't had much luck with the others for various reasons. She seems nice, and Molloy seems to like her, and David likes Molloy, and I like David, so I don't see why she and I can't be friends. I prepped some dinner for tomorrow night so that when I get home all I have to do is stick it in the oven, go to the gym, and come home.

I was frustrated with being an intern today because I can't put the effort into the work that I would like due to only being there 20 hours a week. For instance, I mailed off some tickets today. When I confirmed that the tickets would be mailed, it was already after the postman had come to pick up the mail, so I told the woman that the tickets would go out tomorrow and would get there Friday or Saturday. But she needs them on Monday, so I would want to call her next week to confirm that she has received them, and I am going to be out on Monday and Tuesday and leaving for Portland for Wednesday. So, I dropped them in the blue mailbox across the street from my bus stop to make sure that they went out today so that I can call her on Friday to confirm. That's not a very good story, but the essence is that I am craving a real job.

There is so much work to be done at the internship, and I want to make sure that I am doing my best on everything so I can get the best recommendation out of my short time. There are a ton of little details and I am afraid I am going to miss something. For instance, the VP was annoyed today because he didn't know if the other intern had mailed some tickets; she hadn't recorded anywhere that she had, and she wasn't in to ask. He and Katie were scrambling around trying to figure it out. I don't want that to happen when I'm not there, but there is a possibility that it might: I need to be more conscious in the future about keeping track of every action I take. I think I'm pretty good about it but I need to be better.

No comments: