Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Internship, Post Golf Show

My internship went by pretty quickly this morning. I talked with David in Sales at the coffee pot who told me that everyone said I did a good job at in Portland, which was nice to hear. Melinda was out and Katie wasn't in until 9, and someone had logged me out of my email and I couldn't get back in, so I didn't have much to do for the first hour. I picked up where I left off last week with calls, but that didn't take too long. Finally, Katie arrived and she cracked the code to my email account. Turns out, no one knew the password and they had been actively trying to log me back in. Once my email was fixed I just emailed both of them to ask what to work on next so as not to disturb Katie a second time.

I can't figure Katie out. I like her sense of humor and feel that we could get along, but she won't acknowledge me. I asked this morning how the week had been going post-golf show, and she responded like it was the stupidest question in the world: "I don't know... fine?" End of conversation. Ok, it was a stupid question, but I was only trying to be friendly. She's just a year older than me, so I think that might have something to do with it: she sees me as an annoyance who is bugging her with questions instead of as someone who is there to help, which is the same way I felt about Newton back at the BAC. She started out as an intern three years ago, and was hired on after, which makes me wonder if she questions my motivations. I know she doesn't think I'm gunning for her job, but I think she thinks that something must be wrong with me for taking an internship after college, when she worked hers. Plus, I know that she's had some difficulties in her personal life lately: she got married really young and was recently divorced. Of course, it's pretty arrogant of me to assume that the problem lies with her: she could simply not like me as a person, since not everyone is going to like you all of the time. I wish she would give me a chance, but I'm not going to obsess.

Other than that, I went shopping for a new bathing suit for Hawaii. The bus driver gave me a transfer that was good until 4:30, so I stopped off at Northgate on my way home. I already have a decent swimsuit, but I want one that I will be really comfortable wearing. Bathing suit shopping is traumatic for most ladies, and I am no exception. Plus, I have trouble finding one-pieces because I am pear-shaped, so two-pieces are my best bet even though they are the most revealing. I struck out on the bottom but found a great top at Target that will match my current bikini bottom. I love Target: prices are great and so is their stuff. I couldn't believe how inexpensive cereal is there! However, I have resolved to never again be tempted to try on anything in the Juniors department. I am not petite, but I shouldn't be the largest size on the rack either.

No comments: