Thursday, January 15, 2009

10%

I ate something green and leafy for the first time in ages tonight. I've been telling myself that it's ok to live off of carbohydrates because they are cheap and supposedly upset my digestive system less. Plus, I take a multivitamin and still eat plenty of fiber, so I convinced myself that this diet was ok. However, on the way home the prospect of eating more starchy brown food didn't appeal to me. What kind of vegetarian doesn't eat vegetables? I bought a bunch of kale. It was delicious.

I emailed Dave yesterday to let him know that I didn't want to be laid off, but if someone from Seattle needs to go I should be first, since I don't have any real future with the firm and everyone else does. I may be screwing myself over but I feel a little better knowing that it's out of my hands now. Logically speaking, the person to go should be the person who wants to be there the least. David's work got hit pretty hard today. Ten percent seems to be the key figure: my firm is laying off 10%, David's company is taking a 10% pay cut. David's work goes the communist route, my work prefers to throw sacrifices into the volcano.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genius!
Getting paid 10% less and ensuring everyone get's paid is a pretty good idea in these tough times... If you have a hundred people working for you, and you cut everyone's pay by 10% - that's equivalent of cutting loose 10 people (money wise) but you are still able to capitalize because you have more employees...

Anonymous said...

P.S. That was a very courteous thing for you to do. I'm proud that there's people like you out there :)

Anonymous said...

Helen, you are awesome. I am so proud of you. You are not screwing yourself over. Any time you do something for someone else ( a fellow human) you are helping to find an answer. You will be fine. It may take a little time to find a job, but they are out there and you will find one that makes you happy. Do what you love.... and you will find it makes sense to you and your life.

Helen said...

Thanks you two- I think that whatever happens really will be the best situation.