Monday, December 1, 2008

Capitol Hill Cats

I'm thinking about starting my own pet-sitting business for people on Capitol Hill: Capitol Hill Cats. I used to cat-sit in high school, and figure that I'll give it a shot here. I like cats, and it doesn't seem that hard: feed the cat, play with the cat, scoop the cat's poop. I'd also water plants, take in mail, all the things you want when you're out of town. I could do other animals too, like rodents and lizards, but no spiders. Snakes would be on a case-by-case basis. I've never had a dog or a bird, but I'm guessing I could handle them. On second thought, I don't really like birds and dogs scare me, so I'll stick with cats, rats, and lizards. There are a few things I need to do, like in order to be legit I need a business license, and in order to be competitive I need to become certified in Pet First Aid: all the other cat-sitters advertise it and it's only $50, so why not. I would also need a website, which would be a nice chance to use my Illustrator skills. David is a computer whiz, so he could help set it up. Plus, it would be fun to advertise my services, and good marketing practice too. A couple of my mom's friends could act as references (one is even a vet) in case anyone doubts my abilities. With the economy, I hear that people who go away are boarding their pets less and turning more to in-home care. However, with the economy, people are also taking less vacations, so I'm not sure how my business will do. I always feel like I come up with crazy money-making schemes that aren't really any good at making money.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As long as you don't quit your day job I don't see what it would hurt to try. Most people just want you to stop by a couple times a day. It might be good for some extra income.

Helen said...

Yeah, that's what I figure. Since we're here for Christmas, it'll be a good opportunity to drum up some business.