Friday, November 21, 2008

Art Imitates Life

On Monday, I cleaned the office microwave. It hadn't been cleaned since I started working there, and had become so gross that something had to be done; I presume that since no one else cleans it that this is my job. We have a service that comes in and "cleans" the office on the weekends, and I feel that this should fall under their jurisdiction; I would complain to Carol, but this service is really just one of the Architects in Training and his girlfriend, so I would just feel like a dirty rotten tattler doing that. They get paid as an outside vendor for vacuuming and taking out the trash, but apparently not to dust or clean the microwave- am I wrong that this should be their responsibility and not mine? Eh, probably. Anyhow, I cleaned the microwave; scoured is a better word. When I was done, I put a little sticker above the clock that says "If your food spills or spatters, please clean it up."

On Thursday, "The Office" aired (we just watched it online). The opening scene: Pam the receptionist notices a mess in the microwave and puts a note telling people to clean it up. People are angry that she has put the note on the microwave, not at the person who made the mess.

Anyhow, I just thought that this was funny (in a coincidental, not ha-ha, sort of way). Sorry about the cleaning rant. I actually had a really good day at work today: I was surprised by a marketing mailing to be sent out ASAP, so I spent most of the day working on that. These are always fun. Randy the marketing guy is a horrible writer, and I enjoy improving his work. Plus, he always tells me that my corrections are great, which isn't always true but still feels good. Architects are so blunt and critical that it's nice to receive empty praise every now and again, especially for something I've actually used my brain for.

No comments: