Friday, October 3, 2008

The Economy Takes its Toll

They laid off the Interior Designer today. She was the only person left in the ID department and she just finished the only project that she was working on. I can't say that I'm sad to see her go, although she was the only person keeping me company in the front part of the office. Since she gave me a lot of projects to work on I will be even less busy. Plus, this means that more lay-offs might be in the future. It gives me the go-ahead to look for a new job, because I can always use the fear of being laid off as a reason for leaving for something better, but I run the risk of being out in the cold without any sort of employment if I get the boot before I find a better job. Also, everyone else at the firm seems to really like what they do, and I would hate to see one of them lose their job. I'm the lowest on the totem pole, but I'm also the cheapest, and there are some personality conflicts among other staff members that make me think I wouldn't be the next to go. From what I've heard, lay-offs are often a convenient excuse to weed the garden.

No comments: