Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What a Wonderful Weekend it Was

So, as the title suggests, the past few days have been really fun. I will try to condense as much as possible. On Friday night, we went over to Chris' and watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. Not really much to talk about there. They were really well choreographed but I prefer to watch the actual competition.

On Saturday, we went to the island. It was David's folks' 29th anniversary, and Mollye and Dan had everyone over to their house, including a friend and her two kids. Dinner was really good- Mollye cooked up kebabs, corn, rice pilaf and pineapple cake (thanks Mollye!), and afterwards we played a game then hung out by the fire until dawn. Ok, not really, but it seemed pretty late because I'm getting old. I am a huge fan of their yard, particularly the view of the mainland.

On Sunday, David entertained Chet with "Land Before Time" and uncle stuff, then we caught the ferry back and had just enough time to spiff up the apartment before Jessica arrived. It was great to see her again. We chatted, got some coffee, shopped a little (not too much) and got dinner, then went to our favorite bar for some beer and Trivial Pursuit, the one board game I can win.

I took Monday off to hang out with Jessica. We walked downtown and I showed her Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe on the waterfront, which I think she really liked; she really gets into things like shrunken heads and two-headed sheep for some reason. We had lunch with her "ex-paramour" Cyrus, who despite being 100% blind kept pointing out things for us to look at, such as the view from his office, which is on the 48th story of the Washington Mutual Tower and pretty spectacular. Lunch was architecturally significant, which makes me think that maybe I do want to be an architect; we went to a really well-designed restaurant (Purple) and then toured Rem Koolhaas' Public Library, which is apparently a big deal. (I like to drop Rem Koolhaas' name when I want to sound like I know a lot about architecture). It's a cool building, though I think that super-modern structures generally look out of place in their surroundings. We walked Cyrus back to work then took the ferry over to Bainbridge Island. The ferry ride has stunning views of the Seattle skyline and is just about the best thing about going to Bainbridge Island. That's Jessica. We came back, caught the bus (easier said than done), debated for about an hour where to eat, then settled on the Mexican restaurant down the street. Conclusion: large portions, decent price, great soup= I'd go back. We debated for about another hour about what movie to rent, then got some fro-yo and watched "The Man Who Wasn't There" to show Jessica how awesome the projector is.

This morning was sad; we said goodbye and David and I left for work. David wasn't feeling well. I bought flowers to spruce up the office because the principal is in town, then cleaned what I think were 3 moldy taquitos, a green sandwich, a fermented carton of OJ, a shriveled... peach? nectarine? and various things ranging from 1 week to 1 year passed their expiration date out of the fridge so that if principal decides to chill something he won't have a heart attack. The day got better though: when I turned on my computer I learned that I've been assigned a REAL PROJECT! I am writing up a proposal asking a small town up near Bellingham to consider us the next time they need work done. That put me in a good mood. I am almost looking forward to going in tomorrow. Carol is letting me work extra in the mornings so that I can leave early on Friday to hang out with my brother. I think I have 2 hours of vacation time that I can take, so I will use those too if I need to. Sweet.

2 comments:

Rene said...

Ok, so now I do know that we do not have any of the same tastes... I dont care how good the architect of the Seattle Library is or how it is such a novel building... I HATE that building! I love it from the outside but from the inside it is the most contrived inhospitable and blatantly COLD building I have ever been in. It might have been ok for an office but Libraries are meant to be warm and comfortable and relaxing... It houses books for Goodness sakes.... by the way how is the lamp? Take care. Rene

Helen said...

The building is an architectural marvel, but I agree that it's a poor choice for a library. The natural light is good for reading, though I prefer to curl up in a cozy chair myself. Except when reading textbooks; then a comfy chair will just put you to sleep!