Monday, June 29, 2009

New (temperary) toys


I'm borrowing a couple of pieces of equipment from the Communications dept right now: a logitech USB mic and a Nikon D80 digital camera. I'm a little in love with each of them, though initially I was really frustrated since neither come with a manual and both needed some figuring out. I had to reconfigure some stuff on my computer to get the microphone to work; it's not great audio quality but not terrible either- better than just the internal microphone. They run about $25, so I think I am going to invest in one so I can do more podcasts, since checking out equipment is a bit of a hassle.

The camera, on the other hand, runs around $1,000, so I will not be investing in one any time soon but will check it out repeatedly until I graduate. It has both manual and automatic options; I had to think back to my high school photography class in order to get decent pictures (apertures, f-stops, etc) but I am really pleased with the results.

No comments: