Saturday, April 25, 2009

We built a house

Umm... kinda. David and I volunteered at Habitat for Humanity today, as part of the Bates' (my alma mater) Day of Service. We got a ride to the site from two Bates girls who live in Capitol Hill and go to my gym, though I didn't know either of them in school. We spent most of the morning carrying and putting up drywall, and the afternoon doing the same. All in all, I think we did two walls and put up 8 roof brackets in 6 hours. I'm not super gung-ho about alumni events, so this was more an excuse to do some volunteer work. After a two hour nap after our return home, we've almost recovered, though my knee has just started hurting because I accidentally whacked it with the back of a hammer on the site. Whoops.

The new internship is going well, as are my classes. I pretty pumped up for both of them, though the increasing workload has got me a little worried. This week is going to be a little intense with deadlines, but I've been working at it (as in, I did homework on both Friday and Saturday night while David played his computer game) and feel that I've got a decent handle. I don't intend to make weekend nights work nights, it's just that with Habitat for Humanity taking up all of my Saturday and some moving yet to be done tomorrow, I wanted to make sure I got everything done. Working at a food website has got me really excited for new things to cook, so I'll try to make time for that too. I've managed to work in exercise by walking everywhere, which also saves a few bucks in bus fare.

The apartment is also pretty sweet, with a few slight drawbacks. I don't mind not having a garbage disposal, though having one would be better. The oven doesn't cook evenly, but as long as you rotate the food it's fine. Plus, having gas instead of electric totally makes up for that. The only thing that is worse than our other place is that water pressure in the shower is a little weak and the water doesn't heat up very well. David had to tighten the screws on a couple of the cabinets, since they would swing open and The Cobra would get in them and knock stuff over (like the trash). I heard a scratching in one the other morning and opened it up, expecting to see a mouse; instead, The Cobra came out. I must have shut her in without realizing it. It's kinda funny to see her pawing fruitlessly at the doors. She seems to really like the place.

No comments: