Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jobless in Seattle

So, after 7 months of getting paid not to work, the firm has finally caught on and laid me off. I had it coming, and I'm not sad to be gone. I'm feeling pretty unsure about the future, but I have a lot to work on over the next couple of months. It's difficult to search for a long-term job because of my internship and upcoming travel, so I'm going to look into temping and start doing research into places I want to work so that in late March I will have a focused plan of attack. I need to work on putting together a portfolio for the graphic design program I am applying to, and maybe I'll try to do some pet sitting. I can use what I'm learning in my Dreamweaver class to make a website, and in my spare time become more familiar with Photoshop. My mom is taking all of March off: it's her 60th birthday and she wants to travel a bit to celebrate. Part of this includes visiting us, so I'll have time to spend exploring with her. I'm just thankful I have the internship to keep me occupied and feeling useful. David is going to let me cook for him, and I'm going to try to keep the apartment in better shape. I can knit and paint and make greeting cards and read. I can go to the art museum and the library and the gym. It'll be ok for a month or two, and by then I'll be done with the internship and ready to apply myself to my job search. Like I said, I am a little scared, but feel relieved too.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you collect unemployment?

Dan said...

Well this should make The Cobra happy, at least.

Did you get a chance to leave a big gouge on the desk before you leave? Carve your initials underneath?

You can probably spend some time with friends on the island, too -- maybe learn how to barista....

Unknown said...

I don't think she wants to work for free.

Helen said...

I am thankfully eligible for unemployment; it won't be much, but everything counts! Other than a couple of rings, some scratches, and a few soup spatters, the desk is pretty much how I left it- Dave and Carol offered to be references, and I didn't want to mess that up. I've had good experience working in food service, so I would love to be a barista. Don't know if I could do it for free, but maybe a day's work could be worth a latte or two...

Dan said...

Our barista's get all the lattes they want, free, even when they're not working. Of course, so does family.
(You already count as family, that wasn't a subversive hint)