Monday, December 15, 2008

Now We're Nine

Michael gave his 2 weeks today; he's going to be returning to school in January to become a massage therapist. I'm sad to see him go for several reasons:
1) I like him: he's considerate and seems to care about getting to know me. He deduced from my eating habits that I must be a vegetarian, something I've kept secret for some reason- mainly because it's something else that sets me apart from my coworkers. He's nice, and adds a little bit of variety to the office.
2) The quota of young male architects has gone up. Michael isn't all that young, and he isn't an architect (he does decor), and though he is male he also is married to a man. The stronger their sway in the office is, the more I feel that I am on the outside.
3) I feel like I can't quit. I'm not going to stop looking for a better job, and if I get one I will take it, but I'm going to feel guilty about the process. I don't really care what my superiors think, since my own happiness comes first, but something about looking around for a new job behind their backs while they are already a man down feels wrong.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is nothing wrong with looking for a new job. Half the people in the office probably do the same thing, atleast every once in a while.