Monday, November 24, 2008

Optimistic

I found three people to write me references for grad school: Cait, Len and Shahrayne, all folks from my old job. I was really putting off asking, not because I didn't think that they would help me, but because I've been out of contact and it's awkward asking for a favor after not speaking for a while. They've all been busy, so they understand and probably haven't even noticed. One shocker that's bumming me out: Cait is having surgery on Wednesday to remove the early stages of cervical cancer. Len said that it's not uncommon for this to happen in transplant patients, but she's suffered enough with her kidneys. Kidney failure is just as lethal as cancer, but it isn't as scary for some reason.

My day went by really fast and I'm not even sure why. It was nice though. It started off really well too: I decided to treat myself to a baked good at Whole Foods for breakfast. As I was walking towards the pastry case to get a bagel, a man came out of the kitchen with a big tray of freshly baked mini-baguettes. I followed him and he said to me, "the ones in back are the best." I picked one out and sure enough, it was still warm. It was still warm when I ate it at my desk a half-hour later. I hope to repeat the incident tomorrow.

It was a good weekend too: we had sushi with Dan and Mollye on Saturday night, and went to the zoo and did a little shopping on Sunday: I bought some yarn and David bought a new game.

No comments: