Sunday, September 14, 2008

Saturday night and all day Sunday

David and I hung out for a bit after Dan and Mollye left. Actually, we took a nap almost immediately after, then we hung out a bit. We went to the store, and I made a German chocolate cake. Trivia: German chocolate cake has nothing to do with Germany. It is named after a specific brand of baking chocolate, called German's, and are actually more typical of Southern US cuisine, as evidenced by the pecans in the frosting. Not to boast, but this may be the best thing that I or anyone else in the history of time has ever baked. Ok, that's probably not true, but I'm pretty proud of it since I whipped it up from scratch following Betty Crocker's sage guidance. Anyhow, the reason I made said cake was that David's buddy Willy shipped off to the Marines today and was in town to celebrate his last night as a free man. Willy and his friend Christina came over around 10 and we had a few drinks. Here's Willy with the Cake:
Now on to Sunday. David and I lounged around in bed for a bit; I ate oatmeal and studied flashcards while he played a game on his computer. Then I made some scrambled eggs/tofu. Then I went to the farmer's market and the gym. Boring. Then the good stuff began: we hopped on the bus to go to Gas Works Park. More trivia: the Gas Works used to be a gas factory and employed most of the surrounding area. Then they closed and the city turned them into a park. Anyhow, we got off the bus in Fremont. The below gallery is one of the folk art galleries Rene was talking about when she visited last week:
We got off the bus a little earlier than we needed to, but we walked by something I've been wanting to see for a while: the Fremont Troll!
Awesome. The VW bug he is holding in his left hand is an actual VW bug. Some little kid kicked it and proved it. We walked a bit and came to the park, where we took in scenic views of the Seattle skyline across Lake Union. David read a book and I studied vocab. Here's David in front of the Gas works.
It's sad to think that this is one of the last nice weekends we're might have, and I'm glad we got out to enjoy it.

Now David is watching "The View" and we're about to go to bed.

No comments: