Saturday, June 7, 2008

Once Upon a Time in the (North)West

We went to Chris' dad's birthday party this evening; it was a small gathering of maybe 12 people and a dog. Chris' mom lives in a cozy red house near a cow pasture and cooked some tasty fish tacos (even minus the fish they were good). I felt very welcome despite being a stranger to most of them.

There was live music at the coffee shop, so we dropped by there for a bit. It was another lazy day, although more productive than yesterday: we finished our movie, I went for a small run, and David and his dad picked up the couch from the thrift store.

I also discovered that UW offers a few certificate programs that I am considering applying for. The most lucrative is in figure painting and drawing, which I've done that before and would like something official to show for it. Another is in scientific illustration, which would be really neat to be able to do well, but the program costs twice as much and meets twice as often per week. There are more practical certificates, but serious studies are what grad school is for (and Mom, if you read this, I've been researching that too, so don't worry). I probably should wait to get settled before I commit to anything, but I need to figure out where I'm going with my life. It's not that I feel like I'm getting old or hear any weird internal clocks ticking, but I don't want to be an admin my entire life: booo.

No comments: